Scientific Director & Quality Manager
George joined the Agora in August 2017 as Scientific Director. He has a passion for delivering an excellent laboratory service within the context of our individualised, patient-focused treatment programs of care, which are central to the Agora’s philosophy.
George is a Consultant Clinical Embryologist and Fellow of the Academy of Health Care Sciences (AHCS). He is a Practitioner of the Chartered Quality Institute (PCQI) and certified by BFS in Quality Management of a Fertility Service. Involved through National School of Health care Science (NSHCS) in curriculum review for the Scientist Training Programme (STP) for the specialty Embryology. He works very closely with the Medical Director to ensure success is achieved in even the most challenging cases. He also recognises the importance of facilitating good communication between patients and our laboratory staff. He leads and mentors a team of experienced Clinical Embryologists and has an excellent track record in embryology research.
George’s training in Clinical Embryology has been both in the UK and Sydney. Following his BSc (Hons) in Molecular Biology and Genetics at Liverpool John Moores University he was awarded a Masters in Assisted Reproductive Technology at the University of Nottingham. He went on to complete a PhD in Embryology whilst working as a Clinical Embryologist at the University of Nottingham and subsequently at the Westmead Fertility Centre at the University of Sydney.
His most recent appointment before joining the Agora was as the Scientific Director of Cryos International where he directed six andrology labs across Denmark, Spain and the USA. His research interests include preimplantation embryo susceptibility to in vitro laboratory stress and ART and epigenetics and his research has been presented at National and International conferences.
George’s Scientific Research Publications
- Bartolac LK, Lowe JL, Koustas G, Grupen CG, Sjöblom C. Effect of different penetrating and non-penetrating cryoprotectants and media temperature on the cryosurvival of vitrified in vitro produced porcine blastocysts. Anim Sci J 2018; 89(9) 1230-1239.
- Bartolac L, Lowe J, Koustas G, Grupen C and Sjöblom C. Vitrification, not cryoprotectant exposure, alters the expression of developmentally important genes in in vitro produced porcine blastocysts. Cryobiology 2018; (80): 70-76.
- Swearman H, Koustas G, Knight E, Liperis G, Grupen C and Sjoblom C. Ph: The silent variable significantly impacting meiotic spindle assembly in mice. RBMO 2018.; 37 (3) 279-290.
- Koustas G, L. Bruhn-Madsen and Burke C. Relationship Between ´´High Normal´´ CGG Repeats of the FMR1 Gene and Response to Gonadotropin Stimulation in Fertile Women. Hum. Reprod. 2017; 32(1) i405.
- Bruhn Madsen L, Koustas G and Schou O. Inherited Diseases In Donor Conceived Individuals – What can be Expected. Hum. Reprod. 2017; 32(1) i79.
- Koustas G and Sjoblom C. Minute Changes to the Culture Environment of Mouse Pre-implantation Embryos Affects the Health of the Conceptus, Westmead Fertility Centre and Institute of Reproduction, University of Sydney, Westmead, Australia. APJR 2016; 5 (4)287-294.
- Koustas G, Smith H and Sjoblom H. Avoiding cancellation of embryo transfer: embryos with poor morphology on day 5 yield pregnancies and life births. Fertil Steril. 2015; 104(3) e334.
- Bartolac L, Lowe J, Koustas G, Sjöblom C and Grupen C. A Comparison of Different Vitrification Devices and the Effect of Blastocoele Collapse on the Cryosurvival of In Vitro Produced Porcine Embryos, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Sydney, Camden, NSW, Westmead Fertility Centre, Westmead Hospital, Westmead, Australia. JRP 2015; 61 (6) 525-531.
- Koustas G, C. Sjoblom and H. Smith. Epigenetic Concenquences of pH Stress on Mouse Offspring Fertil Steril. 2013; 100(3)
- Koustas G, H. Smith and C. Sjoblom. Epigenetic Concenquences of pH Stress on Mouse Embryos. Hum. Reprod. 2011 O-195.
- Koustas G, L. Shaw and C. Sjöblom. The Effect of Vitrification on Imprinted Genes H19 and IGF2 in Pre-implantation Mouse Embryos- Reprod. 2010 25(1): i35-i37.
- Koustas G, S. Chamberlain, L. Devlin, H. Priddle and C. Sjöblom. Comparison of Temperature Change Using Three Oocyte Denudation Methods Reprod. 2008. 23(suppl 1): i54–i56